Homepage / Full Name List, a-z / Kétly, László, br.

Semmelweis University Gallery

 

Kétly, László, br.

 

baron of Csurgó

(B. 27th May 1873, Budapest – D. 4th May 1936, Budapest)

Dean: 1927/28 - 1928/29

His father, Károly Kétly was the professor of internal medicine at the Faculty of Medicine in Budapest. During his medical studies László worked at the Institute of Physiology and the Institute of Pathology. He got his medical degree on 28 September, 1895 in Budapest, and then he worked at his father’s clinic (2nd Clinic of Internal Medicine). In 1896-1897 he went on a long West-European study trip. He spent some time in Strasbourg where he studied internal medicine, physiology and medical chemistry at the clinic of professor Naunyn. In Paris he studied near professor Raymond, Marie, Dieulafoy, Potain and Dejerin and finished his trip in Berlin. After returning home he became first assistant lecturer at the 2nd Clinic of Internal Medicine: In 1904 he habilitated in the field of diagnostics of internal medicine and its examination methods. He was appointed professor extraordinarius in 1910, then in 1912 public professor ordinarius and in this position he led the 1st Clinic of Internal Medicine for 2 years. He was appointed professor ordinarius on 30th March, 1914. At the same time, his textbook ‘Internal medicine diagnostics’, which was later used not only in Hungary but also abroad, had been published. When World War I burst out he became the head of Ludovika Academy Hospital. He was removed from his post at the time of the Soviet republic because of his antipathy towards communism, but in the autumn he went back to work to the 1 st Clinic of Internal Medicine and reorganised it. He was appointed the director of the 2nd Clinic of Internal Medicine where he worked until his death. He was dean of the Faculty of Medicine for two years in 1927/28.

(Major works: Hungarian medical vademecum 2. volume. Bp., 1902.; Guide to the diagnostics of internal medicine and its examination methods. Bp. 1914., Typhus abdominalis and paratyphuses. Bp. 1919.)